January 30, 2015

Who is Billy Moran?



The other day I found a few packs of 2014 Topps Heritage retail on clearance so I snapped them up. I didn't expect to pull anything except maybe a high number SP or two. However, in the second of four packs I opened, this Real Ones autograph of... Billy Moran?!? It's a cool card, but I had never heard of him before. I felt the need to do a little research. This is what I unearthed:

He played from 1958-1964 for the Indians, the Angels, then the Indians again. He was mostly a one season wonder, earning an All-Star nod in 1962 with the Angels. He got the starting slot, beating out NY Yankees second baseman, Bobby Richardson who would place second in AL MVP voting that season. His career numbers were average at best. He batted .262 with 28 home runs and 202 runs batted in over his 7 seasons.

Its always cool to pull an on-card auto from a pack. It's interesting to me that Topps would have players like this on their autograph checklist. I just wish it was a relatively unknown Yankee player that I had pulled. If anyone is interested in Mr. Moran, leave me a comment or send me an email and we'll work something out.

3 comments:

  1. I pulled that exact same card this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice card. Angels Great Billy Moran. Too bad he's not in an Angels uni.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pull! Those Real One autos are tough to find. I think I nabbed one out of a hobby box of Heritage in 2010 or 2011, but I can't remember who it was. (Back when I still bought boxes of cards on occasion.)

    ReplyDelete