August 27, 2015

No More Will We Hear the Rumble of Chocolate Thunder


I'm not sure why, but this photo seemed a fitting tribute to a true pioneer. As some of you may have already heard, Darryl Dawkins, AKA Chocolate Thunder has passed away at the age of 58. I really don't collect basketball very much anymore, but in my younger days, I sure did. I was fortunate enough to have some older friends that would help with my sports history education. From them, I learned about Dawkins' ferocious dunks. In a time where my buddies were collecting MJ, I was searching for cards of Darryl. 


This is probably one of my favorite of his cards. I like to think it shows him doing what he did best, throwing down a monster dunk(though in reality he is probably grabbing a rebound). He was a great player, a great entertainer, and most importantly, a great man. Rest in Peace, Chocolate Thunder.

1 comment:

  1. Darryl has returned to the Planet Lovetron - his people needed him!

    http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2006/01/word-of-day-lovetron.html

    ReplyDelete