May 17, 2017

Not the Post I Intended to Write Today

No, I didn't change my plan due to any bad news or anything like that. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Topps released the checklist for Pro Debut today. Check it out here if you're interested: http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2017-topps-pro-debut-baseball-cards


Historically, I haven't been too terribly thrilled by this product. I've picked up a few cards from the different sets over the years, but I've certainly never had a reason to buy a box or to consider putting a set together. This may be the year that at least one of those things changes. Assuming today is not the first time you're reading this blog, you probably know that I have an affinity for my 'local' Minor League team, the Durham Bulls. Thanks to Topps, this year I get to kick my Durham Bulls PC into a higher gear. There are not only one, but two Bulls related relics available in the Fragments of the Farm insert set this year. Earlier today, I caught a glimpse of one of them:


I must have this card! Not only is it related to my local team, but it also contains a piece of an iconic part of the park. I'll be after the second card with almost as much anticipation. It apparently contains a piece of the backstop netting from Durham Bulls Athletic Park. I'm loving the increasing instances of 'out of the ordinary' relic materials being used. Bat chips and jersey relics are nice, but they don't offer much in the way of variety. In addition to these, there are bunches of autographs, manufactured relic patches, and even a SSP variation of Mets farmhand Tim Tebow. Only time will tell if this all will lead to my first box break of this product. Release date is one week from today so I guess I need to decide quickly.

On a semi-related side note, I suppose now is as good a time as any to roll out the next bit of info regarding the blog changes I have in mind. If anyone has visited here over the past few days, you may have noticed that my Cardboard Wishlist has gone through a makeover and been split into two separate lists. I've been experimenting with color scheme/photographic changes, but haven't found the right change in that capacity yet. Last housekeeping update of the night, the blog-related Twitter account is live. Search @CardpocalypseNC if you want to check it out. If you don't, you won't be able to figure out how any of this blog news is 'semi-related' to the post content. I'd also like to take a second to thank all of you that commented your thoughts/experiences/support after I wrote about making changes to the blog. The feedback was much appreciated! I hope you all enjoy the changes(already made and still to come). Thanks for reading.


4 comments:

  1. I like what Pro Debut could be. I love minor league baseball and the oddball-ness of the inserts and relics reflect the minor league experience. I just wish this set paralleled it when it came to my wallet. If they had it at the Opening Day/Bunt price point, I would be all over it as a set. Instead, I just pick up the cards from Cubs affiliates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't tweet but will certainly continue to read and enjoy your posts! Good luck grabbing some bullnet! Cool relic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a solid product this year

    I know all about blog changes, I have done many and i still have more to come this fall

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually excited for Pro Debut this year as it will feature the first auto of someone in the Black Bears uniform.

    ReplyDelete