March 6, 2019

Food Issued Baseball Cards in 2019?

Could it be true? I love oddballs. Especially if they are food issued, baseball cards. In 2016, Topps and Walmart got my hopes up that we were about to see the re-emergence of these into the hobby when they released the Marketside pizza baseball set. Unfortunately, that set was a one-off and the only food-issue that has been released since was an MLS focused Post cereal release last year(yes I collected that). However, it looks like we will be getting another food-issued baseball set in 2019!

At the Topps Industry Conference which took place February 24-26, a set which will be released in Utz snack products was announced. I borrowed the following pic from @SportsCardNews on Twitter.


All of the details I can find so far are summarized in the slide in the picture. What do you honk about this news? Will you be trying to search these out? I know I sure will be. Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. Cool, but I've never heard of Utz. I'll have to look on visits to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Utz products before. From what I've read, most Utz products are distributed on the East coast. Let's hope some of their products make it out to the rest of the country with cards included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoy chasing food-issued cards, but I sure do wish they didn't use a borrowed design. There were so many unique designs for Post, M&M's, Chef-Boy-r-dee and others during the 80s and 90s. Now it looks like we'll have another "set" which mimics the Topps' flagship design on top of Opening Day and Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just walked past a big display of Utz chips on my way into the grocery store yesterday.

    That said, I don't much feel like collecting two Opening Day sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of odd that Topps would partner with a regional distribution company. You would think that they would aim for something that went to the whole country rather than just a portion of it.

    The last food issue cards I know of were the Topps pizza cards that you could get with Wal-Mart pizza. The only thing UTZ makes that I know of is the big barrels of cheese balls that they sell at Sam's Club. Fingers crossed that is where they distribute them so more are available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather have a different design than another parallel set, but I'd certainly buy a bag of chips with free cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of my favorite things. Potato chips and baseball cards.

    ReplyDelete