May 28, 2016

Trying to do a Good Deed - Please Read

I will begin this post by apologizing in advance. Historically I have not wanted to use this space for the type of content that follows, but as I briefly explained a few posts back, a situation was recently brought to my attention that I feel is worth going 'off script' for. 

I am a member of a Facebook collecting/box and case break group on FB. A few weeks back, a post on there caught my attention and has held it pretty firmly since. In short, the guy that runs the group found out that one of the members(Chris) had a young daughter(Delia is still shy of her first birthday) that is in need of a heart transplant. The admin of the group took it upon himself to do some fundraising even though Chris didn't ask him to do so. I felt compelled to participate in the fundraiser there and have since become FB friends with Chris. So, why am I writing this up on here? When I first read about Delia's need it really hit home since I have three daughters of my own. I thought to myself that I could only hope that if one of my daughters was ever in a similar situation and needed something, there would be someone willing to go out of their way to offer some assistance the way that the group admin(and many of the group members) did. As I said, I donated and felt pretty good, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't enough. I messaged Chris and asked him if it would be OK to share Delia's story(and their family struggles) with this great card blogging community. He gave me his permission and I began silently brainstorming a way that I could potentially maximize the additional help I hope to offer. This is part of the reason that posts on here have been few and far between over the past few weeks.

With all of that said, here is my plan. I am going to raffle off this bad boy.


Before outlining details, I want everyone to know that 100% of the funds generated through this raffle will be going directly to Chris and his family.

As some may remember, I was fortunate enough to pull this awesome Cal Ripken Jr. auto from my jumbo box of Topps series 1. At the time, I didn't think I'd be planning to let it go. I honestly think it is the card that could generate the most interest in what I hope to accomplish, so here it is. This is open to anyone who reads regularly or happens to find this post by any means. the cost is $5/'ticket' or spot in the raffle. I am not going to put any limits on the number of entries per person. If you're interested, please comment how many 'tickets' or spots you would like to purchase. Payment can be sent via PayPal. The email associated with my account is: mysahornets@yahoo.com  Please make all payments as friends/family and do not write any comments. I'm going to let this run for a week. All entries should be in by 12:00AM next Saturday, 6/4. All entries will be fed into the randomizer in the order they are received. All entries will be randomized 8 times(the Ironman's jersey number). If all entries are paid, I will run the random sometime 6/4 AM and will post the results on here the same day. Please feel free to share this post anywhere you feel comfortable, I'd love as much visibility for this post as possible. 

Once again, I apologize for using this space for a 'contest' of this sort, but i hope you can all see why I though this was important enough to do so. If anyone is interested in donating on their own, or just learning more specifics about Delia's situation, please check out her GoFundMe page. For anyone who is compelled to send their own donation, please label it with the hashtag: #cardsphere4delia. I always thank you all for reading, but on this post, I appreciate it more than usual.

15 comments:

  1. Not sure if I can fund, but I will tweet it out for sure. Hope it helps. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it absolutely will help!

      Delete
    2. No problem! Getting many RT's so hoping it raises a good amount of money.

      Delete
  2. Very cool thing you're doing to help out! I'm in for a raffle ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gavin, I appreciate the support! Good luck.

      Delete
  3. Tim, you shouldn't be apologizing for writing a post that's trying to help someone out. You can count me in for 10 tickets. And right after reading this, my mom called and I mentioned this story to her, and she said to count her in for 10 tickets as well. So you're getting a Finn family collaboration on 20 raffle tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, thank you so much for both the support of me writing this and for the generous participation! I wish you luck.

      Delete
  4. I've done the right thing and plugged this on the Twitter machine since I can't contribute monetarily right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! The sharing is extremely helpful and appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. All paid up. I changed my mind. Put in for four . Great cause.

      Delete
  6. I'm in for a pair. Happy to help, and no need to apologize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, I appreciate the support. Best of luck!

      Delete
  7. I'm in for a ticket. Glad you posted this.

    ReplyDelete