February 8, 2015

From Super Bowl to Spring Training


Oh, what a difference a week makes! Last Sunday, Seahawks QB Russell Wilson came thiiiis close to winning back-to-back Super Bowl titles, but instead of celebrating another championship, he'll be turning his attention towards BP and taking grounders during infield practice. Let me just say, I am not a Seahawks fan. Nor am I a Rangers fan. However, I DO like Russell Wilson for a few reasons.

1. He is a former NC State guy(my alma mater). Granted he did transfer to Wisconsin, but he's got Wolfpack ties.

2. He's a great player and has no quit in him. At 5 feet 11 inches and just a hair over 200 pounds, he's not your prototypical quarterback. Though he's often been an underdog due to his size, he's worked hard and accomplished a great deal in his short career.

3. Most importantly, he is a class act! Yes, I just said that about an NFL player. He has handled himself with great composure and dignity despite throwing the interception that sealed their loss in the biggest game of the season. He didn't make excuses or try to place blame on the coaching staff that made the call. 

He is truly one of the great role models in today's professional sports landscape. It's a shame that he's not likely to join modern-day, former two sport stars like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Brian Jordan by playing in MLB. With the retirement of Derek Jeter after this past season, there's plenty of room for a classy guy like Russell. 

For the record, I don't own the card shown above(though I'd like to), but I do own this one:


1 comment:

  1. That Is a great card,one I'll have to add to the collection as well.The whole dual NFL/MLB star thing just doesn't get old.I loved Bo,Deion and Brian Jordan!Would have loved for Russell to play In the majors.

    ReplyDelete