June 28, 2016

Vintage Hockey Treasures from the Land of Listia

It's been a little while since I took a trek through the Land of Listia. I browse often but bid rarely these days. Every once in a while, I am able to find a few gems. A few weeks back, I was checking out some newer listings and I came across a seller that had multiple lots of vintage hockey up for bid. I decided to keep an eye on about four of his auctions. As time ran low on the majority of them, e bids were way higher than I was willing to go, but for some reason, one of them was still in the range of what I was willing to offer. I placed my bid on a lot of 5 1971-72 Topps Hockey cards and waited for time to run out. When the countdown hit zero, I was still the high bidder and a few days later an envelope containing these treasures was in hand.


I don't think you can go wrong with a vintage goalie, but Crozier was a pretty decent player. He won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the top rookie in 1965 and followed that up by becoming the first goalkeeper to win the Conn Smythe Trophy and also the first player to do so for the losing team.


You gotta love a pair of old Hawks. White played in six consecutive All-Star games while averaging 30 assists over his 5 years in Chicago. Magnuson was a bit of a goon, racking up 1,442 career penalty minutes(a large number of those on fighting majors).


Bergman was a solid defenseman for a few great and a bunch of mediocre Red Wings teams.

I was thrilled to win this lot, but a bit disappointed that I missed out on one lot that had a half dozen Golden Seals players. Oh well, maybe I'll come across something similar if I stay patient. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Always loved this set, nice win Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, vintage hockey is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the current state of Listia, I find it to be somewhat surprising that someone would have listed these on there, and that you would have been able to get them for anything less than a couple hundred thousand credits. Very neat cards though, no matter the source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this set. First hockey set I ever completed

    ReplyDelete