January 22, 2017

The 8th Day of Trade Posts - For the (Zak)Win!

Though it is now last the holiday season, I've still got to spread the trade package cheer across another four posts after this. Today, I'm sharing the contents of a great envelope that found its way to my door from Greg of Plaschke, Thy Sweater is Argyle. Let's check it out, shall we?


This scan shows off the high points of the football portion of the trade. I loved watching Julius Peppers play football(and basketball) while he was at Carolina. This was in my pre-NC State undergrad days so I have an excuse... I dig the Collegiate Russell Wilson too, even if it is a reminder that he decided to leave the Wolfpack. Probably my favorite card of this bunch is the SI Kids Karl Mecklenburg though. 'The Albino Rhino' played primarily during the time when you could count on one hand the number of cards a particular player would appear on in any given year. So, seeing this oddball tucked in the middle of one of the stacks Greg sent was quite a welcome sight.


The football highlights were good on their own, but the baseball portion stood head and shoulders above. Along the top row, were new-to-me cards featuring 3/4 of the Core Four. I particularly dig the Jeter insert from Opening Day. A second year Godzilla from the National Baseball Card Day promotion in 2004 and a shiny Opening Day A-Rod added to an already awesome bunch of cardboard. However, that final card from the Ted Williams Company, was the icing on the cake! I just mentioned in my Josh Gibson card post how happy it makes me to add a new card to the Negro League part of my collection. That holds true whether it's one of the more well known players or otherwise. Newton Allen may not be remembered as well as Gibson, Paige, or Cool Papa Bell but I am just as thrilled to own this card. The goodies didn't stop there either. One more great card remains.



For a pretty lengthy bit of time, Michael Taylor was a name that appeared on my list of non-Yankees that I collect. As last season progressed, I began to second guess why he was on that list. I don't really have any particular tie to him. That being said, this may be the last Taylor that I add to the collection. I really like the die-cut aspect of this card though, I'm not a huge fan of the random, curvy design they used. I appreciate all the great cardboard, Greg. Thanks for reading.

2 comments: