December 25, 2014

Merry Cardboard Christmas


Christmas Day is rapidly approaching its end. For those that celebrate it, I hope you had a safe and Merry one. For those that don't, I don't mean to offend. For me, this is truly my favorite time of year. The only way it could be any better is if we didn't have to wait so long until Spring Training, but I digress. Here is some Christmas inspired cardboard that is either from my collection or on the list of items to add to it.



Both of these gems come to you from the fine folks at Pro Set. I've had them in the collection since I pulled them from packs way back in the early days of my collecting career. The first came out in 1989 and I vividly remember thinking how cool it was that I had just gotten a card of jolly ol' Saint Nick! I was young back then and didn't know a lot about our hobby, I just knew that I liked busting packs and finding cards of my favorite players. I had no idea that Pro Set issued another Santa card in 1990. So, I was equally surprised and pleased when I happened to unwrap the second version from a pack of 1991 Pro Set! I'm sure at some point, I will track down a copy of that 1990 Santa.

I had no idea that the following box set existed until I went to the Raleigh card show a few short weeks ago. I would have picked it up, except the asking price was pretty steep, what with the holiday approaching and all.


Check it out though. It includes Santa on multiple historic Topps designs and includes a Santa Suit relic card and an authentic autograph from the man himself! Yes, I realize that we are talking fiction here, but at this point in my collecting career, I've got two young kids(4 and 2 years old). This is just the type of thing that I could add to my arsenal in the hopes of passing on my love of collecting to them. I think something like this in addition to Durham Bulls team sets that include players we have gone to see play(and of course, Wool E. Bull) would help make the collecting connection. I wasn't in the market to pay $50 for this set though. I'm sure after the holiday dust settles, I'll be able to get my hands on a set for much less.

Lastly, I want to highlight a holiday themed card that doesn't star Kris Kringle. Once again, I had no idea this card existed until a short time ago. I happened to see it on Nick's Dimebox blog. Since I started this blog a few short weeks ago, it has been on my cardboard want list. It features the star of one of my favorite Christmas shows from my childhood. Subsequently, both of my daughters have grown very find of this show as well and I'm sure they'd LOVE to see this card.


It is none other than Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer! I used to watch this show once or twice each holiday season. Now that my girls have come along and fallen in love with it, I can't tell you how many times I've watched it over the past few years. For some reason, it never gets old. I absolutely love it!

Anyways, there you have it folks. To some, these cards would never find a permanent home in their collection, but it can say that the ones I already own continue to give me just as much joy today as they did when I stumbled upon them while opening packs over 20 years ago. Besides that, they've been known to help renew my Christmas cheer throughout the year as I wait for the holiday season to roll around again. Once again Merry Christmas to all of you in the blogosphere that celebrate this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment