September 2, 2015

There Should Be More Cards Like This - A Single Card Post

I have been a New York Yankees fan for as long as I can remember. In my younger days, I would never have allowed myself to like anything related to the Red Sox. I bought in to the whole rivalry thing. I thought that because I loved my team, that I had to hate anything to do with the Sox. Fortunately, I've grown older (and what I like to think) wiser. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't happy when they broke the Curse of the Bambino and won their first championship in 86 years, especially since they made history by rallying in the ALCS. However, I've learned to appreciate some of the great talent they've had over the last decade(I'm talking about you, Big Papi). Their subsequent WS wins didn't make me happy either, but at least they didn't make me angry or depressed like some fans. In fact, at least one good thin came from their 2007 Workd Series win.

It's this 2008 Upper Deck Jason Varitek, recently pulled from one of those 100 card repacks.


This is one incredible piece of cardboard! It's got everything:

Great photo? Check.
Captain of the squad? Check. 
Championship sweatshirt and hat? Check.
A moment in baseball history frozen in time? Check.
World Series Trophy? Check!

I really dig cards like this. Sadly, they are few and far between. Cards like this can break down barriers. If I pulled a Varitek with a random picture of him behind the plate, hitting, or something of the like, I'd be frustrated at pulling a BoSox card and eventually throw it into a trade package. Pulling this was memorable. It's a rare occasion that I can say I'm happy to have pulled a card from my favorite team's bitter rivals, but hey... A great card is a great card!

6 comments:

  1. I've always liked this one! Even made a "Top 100 Red Sox cards" list I composed a couple of years ago now:

    http://shoeboxlegends.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-100-favorite-red-sox-cards-75.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a baseball fan, I can't possibly dislike this one!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link as Shane. I just checked out your entire countdown. Some really good stuff in there.

      Delete
  2. Definitely one of my favorite Red Sox cards ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very nice card. Never know what you'll find in a retail repack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - this one is a classic (as classic as late 2000's Upper Deck can get)! I was sorting some cards this weekend and I saw a different player holding up this trophy and now I'm blanking on who... It was a different year and team. This is going to bug me until I find it again!

    ReplyDelete