February 16, 2016

Ripping Packs, Feeling Like a Kid - Show Recap pt. 2


No, no, no...wait! That's ripping packs of Kids, Topps Kids that is. These came out back in 1992, and while I was collecting then, I really don't remember seeing these at the time. I remember Upper Deck Fun Pack coming out a few years later, but not these. So, when I saw a few of these mixed in a bin of packs at the show, I couldn't pass up the chance to bust a few. All in all, I was able to find these 6 packs hiding among a bunch of other junk wax and they cost me a dime per pack. I had almost forgotten what it was like to rip an actual wax pack.


Here is the promised gum(this is for you, Jeff!) that comes in each pack. Surprisingly enough, the stick I opened was still pliable and not petrified. There's still no way I was going to chew it though.


A few personal favorites to start thing off. Are you dizzy looking at the background on that Roberto Kelly? Very interesting design on these to say he least.


Next up, check out the cartoon bodies on the Fernandez and Ozzie cards. The drawings make them look like here on steroids! More trippy spirals on that Larkin.


Hipnotic Kirby... I'm planning to put you all in a trance so you'll send me awesome cardboard! Oh wait, a lot of you already do that! Thanks, by the way. Gotta love the cartoonish Rocket, but my favorite is the very Batman-esque background on that George Brett(probably only a few of you will get that reference).


Finally, here are my favorites of the bunch. I am thrilled to have pulled the Mattingly and the Henderson. Even though Doc is on the Mets here, I'll always remember him fondly for his time in pinstripes! This was a really fun few packs to flip through. I'd probably grab a few more of these in the future if the opportunity arrises, especially for the price I paid. Definitely a few keepers in here, and several of these will be making their way to new homes at some point. This was certainly one of the more entertaining purchases of the day, but there is still plenty of the haul left to write about over the next few days. Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. I LOVED this set as a kid. Awesome buy, I'd pick up every single pack I could find at a dime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would have picked up more had I been able to find them, but the rest of the bin was mostly filled with 1988 Topps and the like.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, love this set. That gum looks fine, totally edible...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have saved it for you and included it in your next trade package!

      Delete
  3. I loved this set when I was a kid - although, the irony of having to "kid-ify" a supposedly childish item was lost on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool cards at a great price. What else can you get for a dime today?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember Ozzie Smith being so muscular....

    ReplyDelete