February 6, 2016

2016 Topps Jumbo Box Busting - part 2

Yesterday, I shared the first half of my Hobby Jumbo box of the first new cards of the year. To this point, I am a but disappointed in the box both in collation of base and inserts(bunches of dupes so far) and in the quality/selection of the two relics. I've got five packs left, one of which should include my promised auto and I'm hoping to pull at least one of the as yet elusive Schwarber RCs and maybe even an SP. Let's jump right in!


My first scan, and the second half of the box is already better than the first! There is the single Schwarber I pulled. He's one of the guys I wouldn't have minded pulling more than one of if the collation was going to be terrible. I also finally got a Refsnyder RC. The Russell Martin is one of the regular SPs. If you look really close, that's the camo jersey he's wearing which seems to be the prevailing theme of the easier to pull SPs(apparently this year there are SSPs they are approximately 10x more difficult to pull than standard SPs).


I'm really enjoying the Pressed Into Service insert, especially ones like the top row that show the player actually pitching. I think they should have shown Canseco blowing out his elbow which is exactly what happened during this stint on the mound. I'm digging that they included Singleton in the First Pitch set. To most, he's better known as 'T-Dog' from The Walking Dead. Very cool that the back says he threw out his first pitch for the Marlins' Zombie Night. I'm not sure what's up with that buyback, it has a red foil stamp instead of silver. Are they doing parallels of buybacks now? I guess I'll have to check into that.


Thankfully, the second half of the box yielded a bunch of Wrigley inserts that weren't dupes. He shot of the stadium is by far my favorite of the ones I've seen.


Here are three more Perspectives. I'm definitely going to put this set together and I wish my box didn't give me two dupes already. I'm just glad that there will probably be a lot of folks in the cardsphere that will be trying to complete this one too so at least there's the potential I can use the dupes to help finish my set, especially if everyone else's collation is as bad as mine was. The second half of the box was way better than the first, but I was still disappointed in the hits. Perhaps I'll feel a bit better about the collation issue once I sort everything. If I've got a complete set out of the box, I'll admit I overreacted. Flipping through the second to last pack I opened, I uncovered the auto, which I was still hoping would save the box.


It did! I couldn't believe my eyes! I was fully expecting to get an auto of someone like JT Realmuto. It's not numbered and it's a sticker-graph, but man! Hall of Famer and class act Cal Ripken Jr was staring right back at me. For the time being, I think I'll hold onto this, but I may be able to be convinced to let it go for the right deal.

I've got to give a huge shout out to Jimmy from Big D's Sports Cards for picking this box to deliver to me from the cases he ordered. Thanks for reading and good luck to all of you who will be ripping packs/boxes of your own! Thanks for reading. Please tune in tomorrow for a special Super Bowl themed post that's not directly related to the 'Big Game'.

14 comments:

  1. Nice can't get much better than Cal for a non serial sticker graph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice can't get much better than Cal for a non serial sticker graph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NIGHT PERSPECTIVE CARDS???? Well there's 2 more cards I'll have to get before kicking 2016 Topps to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be my Cubs fan bias showing, but those 100 Year of Wrigley inserts are just beautiful. Nice pull on the Schwarber rookie too; I completely missed his name on the checklist. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of good stuff there. And yes, there are different levels of buybacks this year, (black, red, blue, silver, and gold 1/1). That red stamp puts in the second tier, not that Ed Goodson is a big name anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure a Ripken auto washed away the negative vibes of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to see you land that great autograph Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that Ripken card!

    I would love to know if you completed the base set, because I completed it twice from 2 jumbo Update boxes last year. I will probably buy a jumbo box if I hear that they hold a full set again!

    Nick J

    ReplyDelete
  9. trade you my plain gray Teixeira swatch for the Ripken. ;) congrats. that is one heckuva pull!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome pull, man! Keep me in mind if you ever consider trading the Rip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Iron Man! Fantastic. That's got to be a great feeling to pull a card like that!

    ReplyDelete