July 31, 2016

A Celebratory Photo SP

A few days ago, I shared the most recent(very generous) trade package from Bubble Gum territory. In said package, I found two Yankee photo variation SPs from different 2015 Topps sets. Right after I received that package, I began looking into picking up a few of the remaining Yankee SPs. I was fortunate to find the following floating around Listia for a very reasonable number of credits.


I like this card for two reasons. First, I liked Prado before he was dealt to the Yankees exactly two years ago today. I was thrilled when I heard he would be playing in Pinstripes. Second, I know exactly which game this card immortalizes.

On Friday, August 22, 2014 Prado cracked a HR early in the game and hit a walk-off single. I found confirmation that this photo came from that night's celebration in a photo printed by the New York Daily News:


While this is taken from a different angle, it is the same moment. If you look closely at the card, you can see that it is Brett Gardner dumping the cooler on Prado.

This is far and away, my favorite card documenting his 37 game stint with the Yankees. That's it, acquired on July 31, 37 games, an appendectomy, and a trade in December. I wish he would have had more time in NY, but at least I'll always have that celebratory photo SP. Thanks for reading.

1 comment: