May 13, 2020

Celebrity Dopplegangers on Cardboard

Last week I was flipping through various boxes looking for cards to include in Dimebox Nick's Cardpocalypse prize pack. I came upon a stack that was clearly from a previous Fairfield/Walgreens repack. There was a run of random minor league issues and I did a double take when I saw one of them. Looking at the image I felt like I had seen the guy in a different quadrant of pop culture. After thinking for a moment, it hit me and the creative juices started flowing. The idea for Celebrity Dopplegangers was born. I'm sure it won't be a regular series, but I had to engage the creativity before it went away.



This is the card in question. It's from the 1990 Star Company Lakeland Tigers team set. Marty Willis played five minor league seasons(none higher than double A) and posted a mundane 24-30 win/loss record. Needless to say, he didn't set the baseball world on fire. Does anyone else see what I saw?



Bobby Brown from the Cobra Kai dojo! Maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but the resemblance was close enough that it made me want to look up the actor that played Bobby(just to make sure he didn't have a brief minor league jaunt). Ron Thomas definitely did not play minor league baseball, but I was intrigued to learn that he became a high ranking, well respected martial artist and motivational speaker. Funny how life imitates art, isn't it?

I hope you got a kick(see what I did there?) out of my first post of this type. Technically, it's the second time I've explored doppleganger territory(Aaron Judge/Cameron Frye was the first), but that wasn't a dedicated post. Anyway, I'd love to hear your toughts on this topic. Did I hit the nail on the head or was this a pretty big stretch? Have you had a similar experience while flipping through your collection? Should I keep an eye out for more of these or drop the concept forever? Drop a comment and let me know your thoughts. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Only time a player made me think of another celebrity was this minor leaguer: http://diamond-jesters.blogspot.com/2017/06/repack-haiku-6-mike-huyler.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea. Not sure you've seen it, but the 9 Pockets blog does a series like this with custom cards. https://ninepockets.blogspot.com/search/label/Custom%20Card

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this should be a blog bat around. I don't have any that I have seen but would love to see what others come up with. I think you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete