August 18, 2015

A Nostalgia-Filled PWE

I recently received another great PWE from Jeff at Wish They Still Came With Bubblegum. He managed to remind me of cards and a few players that I hadn't though about in years.


Starting with these, Jeff hit on a modern-day set need, a retail-exclusive All-Star insert(kinda like they did back in the day), and that Upper Deck SP from Mr. Baseball. When I was younger and The Big Hurt was a huge star, I remember seeing this card in the monthly publications and wishing that it would fall out of the next pack I opened. Of course, I didn't know that the odds were against me, and I never did unwrap a copy of it. I was never a huge fan of the movie, I think it was always about wishful thinking for me...just something about seeing Frank in the Yankee pinstripes.


These Broncos of old made me think of the late 1990's when they won back to back Super Bowl titles. Not only did the players make me yearn for glory days gone by, but the designs reminded me of a (slightly)less complicated time in our hobby.


While it is nice to have more TD, seeing the Jason Elam reminded of the time he booted an NFL record tying 63-yard FG. Steve Atwater was a throwback type player in his heyday, one of my favorite Broncos that I had the good fortune to see play.


This great PWE didn't only remind me of the past. It contained only my second card of a guy who looks to be a big part of the present and future. Much like Juwan Thompson(who I posted about recently), C.J. Anderson was hugely productive in the absence of injured fellow RB's Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman. 

Thanks for a wonderful trip down memory lane, Jeff. As always, I'm looking forward to our next trade.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to add the Selleck to your collection. I think everybody has dreamed of the Big Hurt suiting up for there team. Yal are stacked at RB, glad. To send those Broncos your way they've been haunting my collection since 1998....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about the Falcons in my collection, but probably not quite as strongly since the outcome was in the Broncos favor. BTW, I have a bunch more of those 'Dirty Birds' to send your way soon. Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. As a Vikings fan, when I think of 1998 all I want to get rid of are Gary Anderson cards...

      Delete
    3. Man what a great game that was...

      Delete
  2. That Selleck/Frank Thomas card is super cool. Yeah, The Braves had the #2 pick that year and went with Tyler Houston instead of the Big Hurt.
    The Twins ended up with Chuck Knoblauch later in the first round, I can't complain about that - he was probably the 2nd best player to be drafted in that round...

    ReplyDelete