August 30, 2015

Loot from the Trading Spot

A while back, John from Johnny's Trading Spot held a contest involving his series of posts about his first card show in a long while. To enter, he asked that we identify a number of Topps Rookie of the Week cards that he had snagged. The twist was that he didn't show every one in the scans he posted. He did drop some clues to help figure out the others though. It turned out that I was the closest to identifying all of the ones he dug up, so I won a 'vintage prize pack'. It's long overdue that I post this, but I suppose it's better late than never.


My first 1954 Bowman! John customized this prize pack to include vintage Yankees so it was even better than I thought it would be.


This Johnny Kucks has seen better days, but it's still a really cool card to have in my collection.


This is only my second or third card from 1959 Topps. The more of these I see in hand, the more I like this design.


I love the classic photo in front of the Yankee Stadium facade!


I don't have a 'turning two' mini collection, but this might be my favorite of the prize pack because of the awesome, vintage double play!


As far as cards go, John also included some Durham Bulls cards. This Assenmacher is, by far, my favorite of those. It was issued in 1985 by the Durham Herald Sun(the local newspaper).

As great as the cards were, the real gem of the package was a book.


This pocket encyclopedia is worn and fragile, but it is incredibly interesting to gently flip through its pages reading about baseball history, as told in 1956.

Thanks for a great contest John! I'm not sure where you found that encyclopedia, but it is a great piece of history that I am happy to have. By the way, I know that I owe you a bunch of cards. Sorry it is taking me a while to get things together, but I hope you'll find what I send is worth the wait.

1 comment:

  1. That encyclopedia is about as oddballish as it gets. Looks like a fantastic package from John, as usual!

    ReplyDelete